Monday 1 July 2013

Funfetti Cake DIY

   Original post from here
This ice cream, my friends, is your new secret weapon. It’s epic. And mark my words – whether you whip it out at the end of a fancy pants dinner to surprise your guests or you serve it in pink plastic bowls to a room full of 5 year olds, this recipe alone will elevate you to superhero status. Go ahead. Try it. I double dog dare you.
Funfetti Cake and Icing Ice Cream was inspired by my nine year old nephew, Owen. Who brought over a pint of Baskin Robbins Icing on the Cake ice cream for my 4 and 2 year olds. And while they immediately dove for the chocolate one instead, I took a wee little bite from this new concoction that I assumed was made solely for over-sugared little ones.
What followed thereafter was embarassing. And frankly, I get a little queazy just thinking about it. After that one bite, I quietly excused myself to the living room, curled up in a chair in the corner and ate the entire pint. In about 10 minutes. I felt ashamed, horified and kind of disgusted with myself. But then I realized something that brought me right out of my ice cream induced sorrow and gave me a new sense of happy. I realized…that I could MAKE this.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-2 cups funfetti cake, baked according to boxes instructions and broken into small pieces (not crumbs)
  • 1/2 cup vanille frosting
  • 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups cream, salt and vanilla. Set aside.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 1 cup cream. Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar has disolved.
  3. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2-3 hours until cooled.
  4. Follow the instructions of your ice cream maker to make the base ice cream.
  5. With 5 minutes left of churning, add in your sprinkles.
  6. Meanwhile, put your icing into a pastry bag with any sized tip you like. We used a #45 but this really makes no difference at all. Also, gather a container to house your ice cream and a large spoon.
  7. Once your ice cream is done, STIR in your chunks of cake.
  8. Spoon one layer of ice cream into your container.
  9. Add one layer of frosting from your pastry bag. You'll be doing 3 layers total so make sure you only use about a third of your frosting.
  10. Repeat with a layer of ice cream. And a layer of frosting.
  11. Add your last layer of ice cream and top with your last layer of icing.
  12. Freeze for 2 hours and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment